MY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR AN EASY TRANSITION ONCE YOU BRING BABY HOME
1. ROYAL CANIN Mini Starter mom & baby puppy dry tidbits ...ONLY AND NO TREATS WHATSOEVER UNTIL 8 MTHS OF AGE AND ONLY HOME MADE NO STORE BOUGHT ---MANY BABIES HAVE DIED FROM STRE BOUGHT TREATS AND CHINA MADE..
IF A SLACK in eating is evident then you may give this as a supplement, but no more than 1-2 teaspoons at a time ( chicken breast boiled ,shredded and chopped and 1 tsp. ROYAL CANIN canned puppy food, this food is made especially for stimulating the appetite and they love it ---but be careful too much may cause tummy issues and diarrhea--- use in small amounts--- this is a newborn in your home :)
2. Please use bottled Water for the 1st few wks so your puppy can adjust to the change in water...you can add in a little of your faucet water each day for a slow transition to avoid tummy upset.
ALSO, instead of a bowl of water A WATER BOTTLE to drink from on side of pen is a good way to keep your baby dry and your water from being spilled or puppy having accidents in it :) so virtually GERM FREE.
3. ANY Change of foods or new foods can cause tummy upset and diarrhea and sometimes this is severe enough to make puppy very ill and require hospitalization & could even result in death.
4. I recommend that you continue with the same set up I have in my home & nursery to make transition easier for you baby by keeping his surroundings in a similar manner.
I prefer an Exercise Pen with 6-8 panels as anything else is too small in my opinion. This is very important to keep your puppy safe while your away, busy, or puppy needs rest. Just like with an infant you would not give the baby the run of the house same goes with a new furbaby ... This is their "safe haven/comfort zone" . This is where you will keep your puppies bed, toys, food and water in the beginning until your puppy is acclimated to your home and your new rules and ways :) ! . You may contact me as to what I use and where I buy , prior to getting baby home I like to see the set up and know that everything is in order for his new arrival ---I will show you how I set these up --- it is a little apartment for your furbaby...bed at one end with toys to play & chew toys hung along the sides to prevent boredom and its good for playing tug o war with themselves as well. I buy INFANT toys with the little clips to clip on xpen walls...
I then place food and water ( I free feed dry at all times) in center of the runway but along the sides----- and then far end is his designated potty area..... This generally keeps them happy and gives them plenty of room whether 6 or 8 panel for growth... but the 4 panel is entirely too small to keep a baby in.
5. Your puppy needs frequent rest/naptime like any newborn, infant or toddler AND IT IS UP TO YOU to make sure this happens by placing them in there and telling them--nap time bedtime -- whatever wording you would like to use is fine--- BABIES DO NOT KNOW WHEN THEY ARE TIRED , and may play to exhaustion and become sick and cause blood sugar drop (read hypoglycemia) this can potentially put you your baby in danger and risk of death--if you allow it to play and play and play especially if you are allowing outside play -- which I am against until all series of shots are complete & baby is 6-8 mths of age minimum
6. ok, those of you concerned with carpet or flooring may want to put down a sheet of vinyl/shower curtain or waterproof sheet to line your floor...then put down potty pads I use and suggest washable ones and here is why----disposable pads can be chewed and swallowed and it can cause a blockage in the intestines resulting in surgery or death-------2nd preference is a framed potty pad with graph over it to prevent touching the pad for baby (washable & disposable pads can be ordered at Healthykin.com )
7. As much as you may want to cuddle and comfort your baby during in its first few nights...it is BEST TO PLACE BABY IN HIS BED & his warmth buddy we have spoken about ....and let him try to go to sleep with LIGHTS OUT and words "bedtime " being said firm as this is what they are used to hearing from me prior to lights out and bedtime :) IT is too dangerous to place one in bed with you because they are so tiny they can fall off without your knowledge --can break its neck or any other bone and cause it death... so if u insist on this act--please place baby inside a carrier on your bed or at the very least have a well fitted harness & leash with it tied to your arm or head board (making sure it cant fall off or fall and choke ) but I suggest his own bed
8. As we have discussed on phone and you have seen pics of my sofa stairs NEVER let your baby jump on and off objects , it can damage their little knees as well as other injuries. PUPPIES DO NOT KNOW HEIGHTS OR DANGERS as well as depth perception and they can fall off of your sofa -- until they LEARN-- not to , do not place them up there UNSUPERVISED because you will be their guardian angel -- I place pillows along the floor in front of sofa as well as along side my sofa stairs, the pillows aren't there for you to allow it it is incase you don't see it fast enough because a pupy will back up right off edge as well as look at floor and take a LEAP OFF OF IT not realizing the height--
SO PLEASE USE SAME CAUTION YOU WOULD IF U HAS A 12-18 mth old TODDLER ON A STAIRCASE OR STAGE WITHOUT SIDING.....
9. LASTLY, BUT NOT LEASTLY (LOL) PLEASE REMEMBER YOU CAN NOT BRING A NEWBORN HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL AND PLACE IT IN THE BED WITH A BOTTLE AT ONE END AND EXPECT IT TO EAT & DRINK- A NEW FURBABY IS THE SAME WAY IT IS UP TO YOU TO OFFER IF FOOD EVERY 4 HRS DURING THE DAY --EVEN THO IT HAS DRY AT ALL TIMES -- U MUST MAKE SURE IT EATS SOMETHING EVERY 4 HRS during the day ( 1-2 tsp as in #1 rule is sufficient) it isn't necessary to continue the 4 hr feeding at night time... a 10 p snack and a 6am breakfast is sufficient --- unless you have purchased a tiny which will require a 2-3 am snack of food in #1 to keep blood sugar levels stable.
A. POTTY TRAINING can expect to take 8-12 mths to be fully achieved -- punishing your puppy will only instill negative feelings --it will not teach him not to do so-- make sure you keep a " safe place" (potty pad) don at al times by the door and mayb one other secluded place-- where they know it is ok it they cant hold it until u return to let them outside..
As for a baby you can expect it to eat then need to poop &pee within minutes to 15 minutes . and alsways remember their bladder is smaller than a golf ball and cant hold it over 30 mins so -- nap-potty-eat-potty-play 15 mins-potty - over and over.
***MY MOTTO*** you wouldn't spank a newborn for wetting a diaper --THEREFORE DONT SCOLD A PUPPY for etting when it needs -- IT IS UP TO YOU TO MAKE SURE YOU OFFER THE POTTY AT THE RIGHT TIME--
10. YOUR NEW BABY IS A LOVING COMPANION AND LOVES YOU AT ALL TIMES BAD AND GOOD--HE NEEDS YOU TO COMMIT TO THAT FOR HIM AS WELL... READ SAD POEM ON MY PAGE... YOU DONT GIVE YOUR BABY AWAY BECAUSE YOU HAVE A HUMAN BABY OR NEW LIFE OR BECAUSE HE BECOMES ILL AND OLD.
ALL OF MY BABIES ARE ON A DO NOT REHOME ..RESELL..DROP OFF..GIVE AWAY..TAKE TO SHELTER...CONTRACT AND ANYONE THAT NEEDS TO GET RID OF THEM MUST CONTACT ME AHEAD OF TIME AND RETURN TO ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF POSSIBLE WE CAN AGREE ON A NEW HOME BUT NOT WITHOUT MY APPROVAL AS I MUST ALWAYS KNOW WHERE MY BABIES ARE..NOT ONLY BECAUSE I LOVE THEM , BUT BECAUSE THIS HELPS IN KNOWING ANY ISSUES THAT MAY OP UP ALONG THE WAY IN THEIR HEALTH OR LINEAGE. THIS RULE IS FOR ALL NEW OWNERS OF MY FURBABIES PUP OR KITTEN. :)
ENJOY YOUR NEW BABY IT IS A LOVE LIKE NO OTHER !!!!!